GLUTEN FREE | VEGAN | Serves 4
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium beets, peeled and cubed
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups finely chopped cabbage
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill, plus more for serving
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Vegan sour cream or cashew cream, for serving
- Chopped fresh chives and/or parsley, for serving
- Carrot and Caraway Crackers - see recipe
Coat the bottom of a large pot with olive oil and fry onion till translucent. Add the beetroot and celery, saute until the veggies begin to soften, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and saute another minute, until fragrant.
Stir in the broth, tomato paste, cabbage and potato. Bring to a boil the reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until the veggies are tender, 15-20 minutes. You can add more broth or water if you need.
Remove from heat and stir in the lemon juice and dill. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Ladle the soup into bowls and top with cashew cream, fresh dill, parsley and/or chives. Serve with Carrot Caraway Crackers