- 1/2 cup (100g) tapioca pearls soaked in water overnight
- 1 tablespoon ghee or coconut oil
- ¼ cup (35g) chopped cashew nuts
- ¼ cup (35g) raisins
- 1 pear, grated (125g)
- 2 carrots, grated (125g)
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1cm piece of fresh turmeric, grated
- 2cm piece of fresh ginger, grated
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- Pinch of salt
- 600ml plant based milk
To cook the tapioca: Place 1.5 litres of water in a pot and bring to the boil. Drain the tapioca and discard soaking water. Add tapioca to the boiling water. Boil rapidly for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, cover with a lid and let stand for 10 minutes to finish cooking. Strain and rinse with cold water. Leave sitting in strainer whilst you prepare the halwa.
Place the ghee/oil in a wide based pot over a medium heat. Add the cashews and cook for a couple of minutes until they are golden. Add the raisins, pear, carrot, coconut sugar, turmeric, ginger, cardamom and salt. Allow to cook, stirring over a high heat for 3 minutes.
Pour just 500ml of the milk into the pot and cook over medium high heat for 3 minutes.
Add in the cooked tapioca pearls and stir gently. Serve with the remaining milk on the side.