GLUTEN FREE | VEGAN | Makes 5 cups
- 2 large onions, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 long red chilis, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
- 3 tablespoons mild flavoured oil
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- ¾ tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1kg ripe red tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup diced dates
- 125ml apple cider vinegar
Heat the oil in a large pot and add the onions, garlic, ginger and chilis for 5 minutes.
Add the spices and cook for 1 minute stirring continuously and taking care not to burn.
Next add in the tomatoes, vinegar, dates and salt. Bring to the boil, reduce heat to medium and cook for approx 45 minutes, stirring every now and then.
Once the mixture has thickened, pour into sterilized jars and seal.
As this chutney contains low amounts sugar and vinegar it is best to keep refrigerated.