mung bean sprouts and raw cacao create this dense, aromatic bread that looks like a traditional dark rye loaf.
VEGAN GLUTEN-FREE NO ADDED SUGAR | Makes 1 x 900g loaf
- 1/4 cup (35g) golden flax meal
- 80ml water
- 2 1/2 cups (375g) Grain Free Gluten Free Flour
- 200g mixed sprouts (see image below)
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 4 tablespoons molasses
- 4 tablespoons mild flavoured oil
- 2 tablespoons unhulled sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2½ teaspoons dried yeast
- 240ml warm almond milk
Preheat oven to 1000C for 5 minutes, then turn off.
Combine the flax meal with the water and allow to gel for 10 minutes. Whisk the warm milk with the flax meal gel, then add the dry ingredients.
Line a 10cm x 22cm loaf tin. Tip the dough into the tin and place in the warm oven for approx 45 minutes. Make sure the oven is just warm. Once the dough has risen by about a third, remove from the oven and sit somewhere warm, away from any draughts. Turn oven back on and preheat to 1800C.
Once up to temperature, gently put the loaf into the oven and bake for 1 hour.
Leave in the tin for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack. Cool completely before slicing.
Keeps refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.